Re: Which hotspot to buy?

Jess Girard

Hi Fran:

I’ve used Pi-Star devices for several years now. I have a couple of dvMega’s sitting atop Pi3’s; they work just fine.  I also have two ZumSpots which work just as well but require WiFi.  So if you’re looking for Ethernet my choice would be another dvMega.  I assume those are still available…?

I also have a  “ChinaSpot” like the ones sold on Amazon. It was a “mercy purchase”… a guy in our club couldn’t make it with his  DMR radio, and neither could several of us who know the tricks, so he offered it to me for $60.- and I said okyay.   It has an OLED.  After working for 3 years it died… and it wasn’t the SD card because I tried others and it’s just dead. But they are cheap, and for $50.- on Amazon it’s hard to justify another choice, but they don’t have an Ethernet connection.  You can put a Zum board atop a Pi3… I’ve done that and it works. Maybe that’s the cheapest approach given your Ethernet requirement.

Jess

From: main@CTDSTAR.groups.io <main@CTDSTAR.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fran Miele
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 6:41 PM
To: main@CTDSTAR.groups.io
Subject: [CTDSTAR] Which hotspot to buy?

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

Join main@CTDSTAR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.