Multiple Zumspots on DStar #dstar


Daniel Brown
 

Hello all- I am adding a 2nd Zumspot hotspot for DStar to my setup and will be using it in my vehicle.  I currently have (2) other Zumspots (one DMR & one DStar) at home.  I've heard I need to be careful with a 2nd Zumspot on DStar - something about messing up the reflectors.  I have a new host id and they are on different freqs.  What other settings do I need to change so these will work together, ideally at the same time?
Thanks,
Dan - K1DJB


Jess Girard
 

Hi Dan:

I run multiple Zumspots for DStar and DMR. I leave one running in the office all the time...mostly because I forget to unplug it... then I use one in the car and occasionally one in the house, too.  I've never had a problem with them unless they are in RF range of one another which can result in a feedback loop or, if they're on different reflectors, traffic from REFxxx might get into reflector REFyyy, which is a big "no-no" on REF reflectors... but perfectly okay, from what I've heard, on X reflectors.

If you want to be super careful you can name one Zumspot K1DJKB B and other K1DJB D... but you may have to add channels to the rig. If you call them both K1DJB   B (since I assume you'll be on 70cm)  there won't be an issue since that's what I do rather than adding extra memory channels to my HT's.

Hope this helps!

73
Jess Girard
ND1L


On 12/6/2019 3:26 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:
Hello all- I am adding a 2nd Zumspot hotspot for DStar to my setup and will be using it in my vehicle.  I currently have (2) other Zumspots (one DMR & one DStar) at home.  I've heard I need to be careful with a 2nd Zumspot on DStar - something about messing up the reflectors.  I have a new host id and they are on different freqs.  What other settings do I need to change so these will work together, ideally at the same time?
Thanks,
Dan - K1DJB


  


 

You need to use separate callsign terminal combo's like K1DJB  C and K1DJB D when you link to the same reflector with both hotspots. Otherwise the reflector might get confused. Those terminals need to be registered as well under your call sign.
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


Jess Girard
 

Fran:

If you're trying to use both simultaneously, yes. Otherwise no need. I use ND1L   B in the office, the car, home, and elsewhere... but not at the same time. If I use ND1L   A  I'll need a separate memory channel since RPT1 (or whatever they call it these days) is different.

~Jess
ND1L


On 12/6/2019 4:14 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
You need to use separate callsign terminal combo's like K1DJB  C and K1DJB D when you link to the same reflector with both hotspots. Otherwise the reflector might get confused. Those terminals need to be registered as well under your call sign.
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

-- 
Best Regards
J. Girard - President
*********************************************
Girard Rubber Corporation  Voice 914-592-4110
6 Westchester Plaza    Toll-Free 800-347-4112
PO Box 515                 Fax   914-592-7336
Elmsford, NY 10523-0515
          * ISO-9001 Registered *
email: Jess@...
Web site: www.girardrubber.com
*********************************************


 

If both are linked to the same reflector, they should be linked with separate calls. 

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Jess Girard <jess@...> wrote:
Fran:

If you're trying to use both simultaneously, yes. Otherwise no need. I use ND1L   B in the office, the car, home, and elsewhere... but not at the same time. If I use ND1L   A  I'll need a separate memory channel since RPT1 (or whatever they call it these days) is different.

~Jess
ND1L


On 12/6/2019 4:14 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
You need to use separate callsign terminal combo's like K1DJB  C and K1DJB D when you link to the same reflector with both hotspots. Otherwise the reflector might get confused. Those terminals need to be registered as well under your call sign.
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

-- 
Best Regards
J. Girard - President
*********************************************
Girard Rubber Corporation  Voice 914-592-4110
6 Westchester Plaza    Toll-Free 800-347-4112
PO Box 515                 Fax   914-592-7336
Elmsford, NY 10523-0515
          * ISO-9001 Registered *
email: Jess@...
Web site: www.girardrubber.com
*********************************************

--
Sent from my Apple device --Fran IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.

--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


Jess Girard
 

Are you saying that if I use ND1L  B at the office and in the car AT DIFFERENT TIMES and turn off the one I'm not using they must still have different extensions? If so, why?  I used to do that but I had to program a different memory for each location... which is a waste of time since I'm not working stations in the car and at the office simultaneously. And that way if I use the wrong memory the hotspot won't respond at all.

The key is "linked to the same reflector". I disconnect the one in the car when I turn off the engine, and I turn off the in the office when I go out. Easy-peasy.

Jess
 

On 12/6/2019 6:04 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
If both are linked to the same reflector, they should be linked with separate calls. 

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Jess Girard <jess@...> wrote:
Fran:

If you're trying to use both simultaneously, yes. Otherwise no need. I use ND1L   B in the office, the car, home, and elsewhere... but not at the same time. If I use ND1L   A  I'll need a separate memory channel since RPT1 (or whatever they call it these days) is different.

~Jess
ND1L


On 12/6/2019 4:14 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
You need to use separate callsign terminal combo's like K1DJB  C and K1DJB D when you link to the same reflector with both hotspots. Otherwise the reflector might get confused. Those terminals need to be registered as well under your call sign.
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


--
Sent from my Apple device --Fran IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.

--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...



 

As you said the key is "LINKED". Doesn't matter what the radio has. If you use the same exact call to link two hotspots to the reflector, the reflector's dashboard starts getting screwed up and doesn't know which entry to update. Bob and I have both run into this ourselves. The traffic in and out seems to be ok, as far as we know, but the info on the reflector itself gets screwy. Without know ing what els e could be happening, it always safe to err on the side of caution that to tempt the D-STAR gods.


--Fran, W1FJM

"Crazzeee stuff happens in D-STAR,..  be part of it"

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.

Warning: Although taking reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses or malicious softwares are present in this email, the sender cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.


On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 6:25 PM Jess Girard <jess@...> wrote:
Are you saying that if I use ND1L  B at the office and in the car AT DIFFERENT TIMES and turn off the one I'm not using they must still have different extensions? If so, why?  I used to do that but I had to program a different memory for each location... which is a waste of time since I'm not working stations in the car and at the office simultaneously. And that way if I use the wrong memory the hotspot won't respond at all.

The key is "linked to the same reflector". I disconnect the one in the car when I turn off the engine, and I turn off the in the office when I go out. Easy-peasy.

Jess
 

On 12/6/2019 6:04 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
If both are linked to the same reflector, they should be linked with separate calls. 

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Jess Girard <jess@...> wrote:
Fran:

If you're trying to use both simultaneously, yes. Otherwise no need. I use ND1L   B in the office, the car, home, and elsewhere... but not at the same time. If I use ND1L   A  I'll need a separate memory channel since RPT1 (or whatever they call it these days) is different.

~Jess
ND1L


On 12/6/2019 4:14 PM, Fran Miele wrote:
You need to use separate callsign terminal combo's like K1DJB  C and K1DJB D when you link to the same reflector with both hotspots. Otherwise the reflector might get confused. Those terminals need to be registered as well under your call sign.
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


            
--
Sent from my Apple device --Fran IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.

--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


  


--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...


David Hubbell
 

The real issue with 2 hotspots comes if you run the 2 on the same frequency. One hotspot will be picked up by the second and a ping pong effect occurs on the reflector. Kind of funny when it happens!


On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 15:26 Daniel Brown <dan@...> wrote:
Hello all- I am adding a 2nd Zumspot hotspot for DStar to my setup and will be using it in my vehicle.  I currently have (2) other Zumspots (one DMR & one DStar) at home.  I've heard I need to be careful with a 2nd Zumspot on DStar - something about messing up the reflectors.  I have a new host id and they are on different freqs.  What other settings do I need to change so these will work together, ideally at the same time?
Thanks,
Dan - K1DJB