Which hotspot to buy?

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

KB1WCS

Hi Fran,

My first hotspot was a generic MMDVM w/screen + Pi Zero from Amazon for $50. I wasn’t expecting much, but as it turns out…it was an amazing deal. Works very well considering the price. I know you already have a Pi 3, but this is worth considering.

I got a ZUMspot w/1.3 OLED for a buddy. He got it from HRO for $160 + $15-ish for a case. It’s nice, but I’m not sure it’s worth 3x the price of the cheapo from Amazon. Again…comes with a Pi Zero.

I recently got an MMDVM Simplex board from N4BOC for $79. Unique feature of this is the Yageo ceramic antenna that sits nice and low on the PCB. This was attractive for me since my cats view all antennas as chew toys. Will probably add a small OLED to it.

Best deal might be to get the generic MMDVM from Amazon and put it on your Pi 3. Then use the Pi Zero for other tinkering. Or…the N3BOC board if the low profile antenna interests you.

- Chris, KB1WCS

On Oct 3, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Fran Miele <W1FJM@...> wrote:

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

K1MPR Mike

Hello Fran,

I feel you are doing a major disservice by not considering an openspot. I have an openspot2 and love it. Such an easy setup and so easy to use. The openspot3 is even better by allowing full cross-moding (dstar to DMR, dstar to C4FM, anything to anything). It’s also got an internal battery to take on the road and link to a cell phone for connectivity. Join the future and get an openspot. 

Good luck in your search,
Mike K1MPR

PS> ISS flyover west Hartford in 5 minutes!

On Oct 3, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Fran Miele <W1FJM@...> wrote:

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

Jess Girard

Hi Fran:

I’ve used Pi-Star devices for several years now. I have a couple of dvMega’s sitting atop Pi3’s; they work just fine.  I also have two ZumSpots which work just as well but require WiFi.  So if you’re looking for Ethernet my choice would be another dvMega.  I assume those are still available…?

I also have a  “ChinaSpot” like the ones sold on Amazon. It was a “mercy purchase”… a guy in our club couldn’t make it with his  DMR radio, and neither could several of us who know the tricks, so he offered it to me for $60.- and I said okyay.   It has an OLED.  After working for 3 years it died… and it wasn’t the SD card because I tried others and it’s just dead. But they are cheap, and for $50.- on Amazon it’s hard to justify another choice, but they don’t have an Ethernet connection.  You can put a Zum board atop a Pi3… I’ve done that and it works. Maybe that’s the cheapest approach given your Ethernet requirement.

Jess

From: main@CTDSTAR.groups.io <main@CTDSTAR.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fran Miele
Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 6:41 PM
To: main@CTDSTAR.groups.io
Subject: [CTDSTAR] Which hotspot to buy?

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

Harrison Fortier

Fran,

1. I use an OpenSpot 1 plugged in to the Ethernet in the shack and it has never failed. I primarily use it for DMR.

2. I have a cheap Chinese Jumbospot running Pi-Star that I use via WiFi on C4FM.

3. I have a real Zumspot board on a Bluetooth board no raspberry pi. I use this for mobile and and portable work. I connect by Bluetooth to my iPhone and run the BlueDV app. It works great on all modes.

Okay so that is what I have. I usually just use RF to the local repeaters when I want to use D-Star but I could use anyone of the hot-spots.

There are micro usb to Ethernet adapters if you are using a Jumbospot or Zumspot in the shack and want to plug it in directly instead of WiFi.

If your looking for reliability go with the real Zumspots for HRO. Go to HRO and type in Zum in the search bar. It changes daily. They keep running out of the real boards.

There are some other great options like an OpenSpot 3 or a Bridgecom Skybridge but they are very pricey running around $300.00.

I'm a pretty cheap guy and have built all of mine except for my original OpenSpot.

I guess it really depends what you want to use if for. If your experimenting or just going to park it on a Reflector.

If your just going to leave it on the Reflector I would just go with the cheapo Chinese Jumbospot from a USA supplier on Ebay for about $45.00 and put it on your Raspberry Pi. If you want you can add the Nextion screen to have a really nice display to see who is on. Here is a good one cheap that a few of my friends bought and it works great. It also comes from NJ. MMDVM Hotspot Support P25 DMR YSF + Raspberry Pi +OLED +Antenna + Case +16G Card | eBay

On Saturday, October 3, 2020, 6:41:03 PM EDT, Fran Miele <w1fjm@...> wrote:

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

Michael Maloy

Rfinder just came out with a new on on the Gigaparts site for $299

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020, 6:41 PM Fran Miele <W1FJM@...> wrote:

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...