Which hotspot to buy?

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

KB1WCS

Hi Fran,

My first hotspot was a generic MMDVM w/screen + Pi Zero from Amazon for $50. I wasn’t expecting much, but as it turns out…it was an amazing deal. Works very well considering the price. I know you already have a Pi 3, but this is worth considering.

I got a ZUMspot w/1.3 OLED for a buddy. He got it from HRO for $160 + $15-ish for a case. It’s nice, but I’m not sure it’s worth 3x the price of the cheapo from Amazon. Again…comes with a Pi Zero.

I recently got an MMDVM Simplex board from N4BOC for $79. Unique feature of this is the Yageo ceramic antenna that sits nice and low on the PCB. This was attractive for me since my cats view all antennas as chew toys. Will probably add a small OLED to it.

Best deal might be to get the generic MMDVM from Amazon and put it on your Pi 3. Then use the Pi Zero for other tinkering. Or…the N3BOC board if the low profile antenna interests you.

- Chris, KB1WCS

On Oct 3, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Fran Miele <W1FJM@...> wrote:

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

K1MPR Mike

Hello Fran,

I feel you are doing a major disservice by not considering an openspot. I have an openspot2 and love it. Such an easy setup and so easy to use. The openspot3 is even better by allowing full cross-moding (dstar to DMR, dstar to C4FM, anything to anything). It’s also got an internal battery to take on the road and link to a cell phone for connectivity. Join the future and get an openspot.

Good luck in your search,
Mike K1MPR

PS> ISS flyover west Hartford in 5 minutes!

On Oct 3, 2020, at 6:41 PM, Fran Miele <W1FJM@...> wrote:

One of my DVMEGA's bit the dust. I am looking for recommendations for a replacement. I DO NOT want an openspot and I don't want to be restricted to WIFI.  I haven't paid attention to what on the market so I am looking to our DSTAR community for advice. I'm even contemplating a VHF/UHF hotspot. I already have the Raspberry Pi 3 so I don't think I need that.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks
--
Fran, W1FJM
W1FJM@...

Jess Girard

Hi Fran:

I’ve used Pi-Star devices for several years now. I have a couple of dvMega’s sitting atop Pi3’s; they work just fine.  I also have two ZumSpots which work just as well but require WiFi.  So if you’re looking for Ethernet my choice would be another dvMega.  I assume those are still available…?

I also have a  “ChinaSpot” like the ones sold on Amazon. It was a “mercy purchase”… a guy in our club couldn’t make it with his  DMR radio, and neither could several of us who know the tricks, so he offered it to me for $60.- and I said okyay.   It has an OLED.  After working for 3 years it died… and it wasn’t the SD card because I tried others and it’s just dead. But they are cheap, and for $50.- on Amazon it’s hard to justify another choice, but they don’t have an Ethernet connection.  You can put a Zum board atop a Pi3… I’ve done that and it works. Maybe that’s the cheapest approach given your Ethernet requirement.

73

Jess